Tuesday, March 31, 2009

a day like today

I was journaling (my real journal) earlier and thought I'd share. Looking at today's 70 degree weather, it's hard to believe that it was snowing just a few days ago.

P.S. Sorry for all the adjectives-I'm chalking it up to nostalgia.

I was reminded today what it is that I love about the south. I was driving east on a back road and the sun was shining. The road I was driving was a bit hilly-just enough rolling to make it interesting. The sky was bright, perfect blue and there were scattered thunder clouds off in the distance. The purple-budded trees swayed a little in the wind, and to the left, at the edge of town, the water tower reminded me of every small, southern town I've ever been in. A warm wind was blowing in thorugh the sun roof and at that moment, I was sixteen again: walking through Wichita Falls, Texas at 6 am, watching the sun rise, smelling the heat starting to penetrate the sidewalk and the damp grass. I was reminded of of the wind-hot and humid-rushing over my skin-a day with all the promise of summer: laziness, a barbecue, swimming, good friends, dust, a drive in a hot truck, country music, and thick accents. I love the p.n.w., and it will always be my home, but it was nice to be reminded exactly why I spent so much time as a kid dreaming about life in the south. You can't get a day like today anywhere else.

No comments: