Saturday, March 7, 2009

technologically un-savvy

Saturday...it's got to be the best day of the week. There's just something about a lazy Saturday afternoon that can't be beat. I have a truck load of homework to be sure, but today, I'm going to take a break.

My roommate and most of my friends are going to see a symphony tonight, and I'll admit, I'm kind of jealous, but the time alone is nice too. Actually, my friends got free tickets from the promoter, but had to consent to "twitter" about the experience while they there...so I'm kind of glad that I'm not going. I have mixed feelings about all the new social networking tools. Sites like Myspace and Facebook are cool, but why does someone need both? I actually had both for quite a while. I signed up for my Facebook account in the fall of 2005, and Myspace in November 2005 (before that, I had Xanga). I did the dual account thing unti l January of this year, when I decided that I'd had enough of Facebook and going back and forth between the two. For some reason, being constantly in-the-know about what my second cousin was having for dinner was tiring and took some of the mystery and joy away from being friends. I was tired of knowing about people, while knowing less and less of them.

So anyway, that little tangent brings me back to Twitter and how ridiculous I think it is. I have no desire to be so connected to acquaintances that I get text messages every time they want to tell the world that they have to use the restroom. I think everyone has a desire to be known, but there has to be some privacy too. I do see the upside of such technology, but it's become so over-used and sometimes I feel that everyone has tuned into the tech world so much that they fail to appreciate the little wonders in the physical world.

Ok, so I'm trying to find a way to tie all of that back to the fact that it's Saturday and gorgeous outside but nothing's coming to mind.

Enjoy the weekend.

-Me.

No comments: