Sunday, March 7, 2010

"american sunday night"

The title of this post is of course, a play on Brad Paisley's latest album title, but this really has nothing to do with Brad Paisley...except maybe the idea behind the post. As I do on many Sunday afternoons/evenings, I went for a drive. I'm not sure why I drive, probably has something to do with the Sunday drives my parents took us on when I was little, but anyway, I love them-I love that I can be alone to think, and process, and take in scenery at the same time, and basically be in my own world. Most of the time when I go for a drive, I find myself never wanting to come back, to just keep driving for days-of course, I know that cannot happen, but it's fun to think about.

Anyway, tonight's drive was much the same as many others. I didn't go anywhere in particular, just north out of town. About ten miles down the road, I found a little pond that I'd never noticed before. It was along the road, but partially surrounded by trees. Then, I noticed three plastic lawn chairs, the kind you get for five dollars at Wal-Mart, set up beside the pond. Nothing out of the ordinary at all, but it impressed on me that those people, the ones who own the land and set up the chairs, they are living the true American dream: they have a little place, a nice view, and each other...and really, that's all anyone needs. Sure, their pond was small and the land around it was hilly and probably not very good for producing much of anything. And, their chairs were cheap and not very sturdy, but people like that have it all. They have realized that they don't need a lot to make them happy, and they are content with what they have, with the view out their window, the one that they worked to earn. They are content in the life that they are living. Tell me, is there a better way to spend Sunday night than watching the sun set over a little pond with the one you love beside you?


And I kept driving. Another ten miles down the road, I came across six or seven cars and two or three motorcycles parked in the highway median. Now, those who are from the pnw, usually don't understand this kind of highway median. Basically there are two lanes going each direction, with about 300 feet of grass in between the two sides of the highway. Periodically, there are small roads going through the median connecting the highways allowing for u-turns or the ability to reach access roads. Anyway, there were a bunch of cars and motorcycles in the median and several people walking in the grass there, going down under the highway bridge. Apparently they had some kind of party or barbecue going on down there...imagine that: A party. Under a bridge. In the middle of nowhere. When I came back going the opposite direction, there were couples taking turns riding the motorcycles around in the grass. Again, what a neat way to spend a Sunday evening. Sure, it's probably something not everyone would enjoy, but it's another glimpse at the American dream: the ability to have the freedom to enjoy friends, and empty spaces, and have a good time.

That's what I call a true "American Sunday Night".

No comments: