Saturday, October 24, 2009

sight or site

I have a lot of pet peeves: plastic bathtubs, hair (not attached to the head), bath rugs (disgusting to think of bath rug hair and lint all over clean feet), immaturity (though I admit, I can be pretty immature myself at times, and immaturity in general can be subjective), backstabbers, whiny children...the list is long. Anyway, the sight/site spelling error is fast becoming a big problem for me. I can't count the times that I've seen professional organizations and newspaper reporters use the word "sight" (as in "It was a sight to behold", or "Her sight was almost gone") and and spell it "site" or vice versa. I don't get it. Really, some of the only times "site" should be used is in reference to a website ("the article appears at the following site...") or a location ("Construction is almost finished at the building site."). The sight/site problem is on par to become another "affect/effect" problem and I've noticed it getting worse over time as people see the word "site" on the internet and just assume that is the only way to spell it. I will admit, my spelling and grammar (especially my grammar-see the post below this for some fine examples) are FAR from perfect, but there are a few things that really bug me when I see them. This is one of those things.

-Me

P.S. A third spelling of the word is "cite" as in: "The police officer cited her for reckless endangerment." or "Don't forget to cite your sources." I have seen writers use "site" in place of "cite" but this error is made far less than the other.

No comments: