Wednesday, February 11, 2009

an observation

Let me start this post off by saying that I am pro-life (and no, this has nothing to do with the woman in CA with 14 kids-a whole 'nother story)...that being said, I saw something tonight that caused me to think (lol). I was driving back to campus and at a red light, ended up behind a vehicle with five or six anti-abortion stickers on the back. Fine and dandy. I read the stickers and then noticed what kind of a car they were on...a brand-new suburban. Not really sure why I was thinking so hard about this, it's not normal for me, but it frustrated me a bit that here was a person/family advertising for no more abortions who obviously had the means to care for a large family. Yes, I realize that unwanted pregnancies are almost solely to blame on the parents and their extracuriccular activiteis (with the exception of non-consensual sex), but what about the family that's barely scraping by...a couple kids, hard times...and then they find out they're expecting another. I don't agree with abortion and there are funded alternatives for a family that finds themselves in a situation like that, but why does it always seem to be the "rich" who go about making such statements? Does anyone ever see a beat up junker car with several kids in the back with anti-abortion stickers plastered on the bumper? Maybe it's good that the wealthy are choosing to make their statements, I mean, they obviously have the means to support their views, but I guess I'm just saying that it's awful easy to make cut-and-dried judgments when you have a way to support those views and it's another story to hold to those same beliefs when you are caught in the crossfire.
-Me.

No comments: